While I may have earned myself the nickname ‘Rebel Yogi’ on my notionzy yoga sailing trip in Turkey last month, I guess it’s sounds healthier than just ‘rebel’, right? I drink alcohol, I eat meat and sugar, I miss a class here and there…and WHAT? I started yoga earlier this year in an attempt to find some kind of activity that didn’t make me want to claw my eyes out like how I feel entering a conventional gym. Something I could keep up for life, that I could do any time, anywhere. I’m glad I started, I wish I’d have done it sooner, so here are my top ten reasons why I think you should start practicing yoga now.
[dt_gap height=”10″ /]1. You can do it with a beer in your hand. Joking, not joking. My point here is about balance, I’m never going to give up having fun…like, ever. So it makes sense that if I want to make it past thirty, there needs to be some form of yin to my yang.[dt_gap height=”10″ /]
[dt_gap height=”10″ /]2. Physical balance too. This is essential for stuff like not falling over and the likes.[dt_gap height=”10″ /]
[dt_gap height=”10″ /]3. It’s an absolutely excellent excuse to wear ‘yoga pants’ instead of regular, er, pants… or justify wearing leggings to work.
4. You don’t have to wash your hair after, unless it’s hot yoga…in that case be prepared for the ‘fro you never knew you had.
5. You don’t use your phone for an hour. Sixty entire minutes. This point is great for my frown lines, thumbs and iPhone battery.
6. It strengthens your core and in turn helps with posture and your back. Who doesn’t want better posture and a back that doesn’t ache?[dt_gap height=”10″ /]
[dt_gap height=”10″ /]7. There are tonnes of yoga holidays you can go on. This is not a retreat, it’s a holiday where you do yoga and other fun active stuff and come back with a tan, more mind space and probably a few pounds lighter. Unless, like me, you can even take balance to the extreme and make up the deficit in white wine.
8. It keeps you regular. Nuff said.
9. You just need a mat, that’s all. You don’t even need to go to a class, there are lots of free classes online you can follow at home. I like Erin Motz, Bad Yogi YouTube vids. But if you are looking for a studio in Dublin, go visit the Yoga Hub…they don’t get friendlier than these guys.
10. And breathe. The pressure some people put on themselves to go on faddy ‘detox’ diets, when the entire idea has been discredited as an utter sham (your liver does that for you babes) and all you really need to do is b-r-e-a-t-h-e for the ultimate body cleanse is cray cray.
Yoga – you rock. Do you yoga…and why?[dt_gap height=”10″ /]